Article

By DAN VALENTI

PLANET VALENTI News and Commentary

TUNE IN TONIGHT for Episode 6 of Planet Valenti Television. Tonight, The Generalissimo makes another appearance, by overwhelming popular demand. Also thrill to The Empty Suit, more letters, and other fun surprises. Live, beginning at 7 p.m., that’s PV-TV on Access Pittsfield, Time Warner, channel 16. To watch any or all of our five previous shows, hit the hot link to You Tube at

——– 000 ——–

(FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE, THURSDAY, JUNE 12, 2014) — “Fore!”

That’s a word you shout in golf to warn others ahead of you that “An errant shot is coming your way! Be on the alert!”

In the handicapped game that is Pittsfield politics, they’re yelling “Fore!”

——– 000 ——–

There is serious business, and then there is Serious Business. An example of the former is the $150 million budget being proposed by The Empty Suit. What’s a hunnert-n-fifty mil among friend? Chump change for The Suits, because they have a handy set of suckers built into the tilted game. They are known by the collective noun “taxpayers.” An example of the latter, and we’re talking Serious Business of Earthshaking Import, is what Nickname to hang on Nick.

PLEASE VOTE: SEE THE END OF THIS COLUMN! THE PLANET WANTS YOUR TALLY!

NICK THE QUICK: Elitist or just fooling around? (Photo: iBerkshires)

Should Caccamo be “Golf Game” or “Mulligan?” This copper-topped opportunity to place a fitting label on our Right Honorable Good Friend from Ward 3 must not be blown, since it will only come around once (read into that what you will, especially you cipher lovers and cryptographers). Each of Nick’s proposed names has backers.

Those who favor “Golf Game” like the alliteration; the clipped, staccato, stuttering nature of the sound (much like Caccamo speaking); and the fact that it explicitly mentions the game of golf.

Those who like “Mulligan” better appreciate this word, which implicitly alludes to golf and for the way it implies cheating. They feel that somehow, some way, Caccamo’s resignation from the PSD is a finagle, a hoodwink, a situation not on the up-an-up.

As you may or may not know, in golf, a “mulligan” is a “do-over” following a bad shot, usually off the tee, for which no additional stroke is charged. In plain English, it’s a form of cheating. Among friends playing casual rounds, mulligans are sometimes granted. In any form of serious golf, though, mulligan are for swindlers.

What do they say about the golf shoe? If it fits, wear it?

——– 000 ——–

Golf Quip Comes Back to Bite Nick The Quick in the Putter

You’ll recall that Cacacmo, upon announcing his resignation from his cushy, $50,000 a year+bennies position as “technology coach” for the Pittsfield Public Schools, said his biggest concern wasn’t finding new employment but lowering his handicap on the golf course. [ED. NOTE: "Technology coach" is another of those taxpayer-funded make-work jobs awarded for political service and loyalty. Such a job requires not much more than remaining eternally grateful to your political owners. All you ever need do is say, "Yassa boss" when your owner talks to you. Only certain types of folks agree to such positions].

Caccamo’s golf quip rubbed people the wrong way, for a couple of reasons: (1) It conveyed connotations of an elitist, entitled, out-of-touch yuppie (THE PLANET didn’t know they made those anymore) and (2) It suggested that, once again in Pittsfield and under this mayor, “The Fix Is In.” With the current opening and the grand, one-week “worldwide search” for the new executive director at Berkshire Works, We The People are reasonably suspicious of the resignation. Too many times, they have seen 2+2 add up to 4, 5, 6, or whatever other sum The Suits want.

What will the result be of 2+2 in this instance?

——– 000 ——–

Everybody’s a ‘Nice Guy,’ OK. Manson, Hitler, and Thurston J. Howell III — They’re All ‘Nice Guys’

It’s interesting how people misread our words. Caccamo apologists took our legitimate questions surrounding the melodrama of the lad’s resignation from the PSD as a “personal attack,” twisting our words, taking them out of context, or even inventing things we supposedly said or wrote but never did.

Nothing could be further from the truth. THE PLANET has long ago conceded that everyone connected with Pittsfield politics is salt of the earth, land of the pepper, and so nice that by comparison, Mother Teresa more resembles Don Rickles than The Blessed Mother. Everyone’s “a good guy.” That includes our young friend from Ward 3. In politics, however, “he’s a nice guy” means nothing. The pertinent question is: “Are you doing The People’s business?” That is, “Are you getting the job done?”

In Caccamo’s case, the answer has been a resounding “no.” He has yet to make any significant impact that lightens the load for Mary Jane and Joe Kapanski. Instead, he has only added to it, and it appears he shall do so again (and egregiously) with the upcoming FY15 budget vote.

Caccamo has not “got the job done” in Ward 3. For one thing, prior to his resignation, he effectively removed his constituents from their rightful place in the budget discussions. For another, after his resignation, he effectively removes the Kapanskis, again, from being represented in, on, and about the FY15 fiscal plan being proposed by The Empty Suit. Allow THE PLANET to explain.

In the first instance, Caccamo’s Ward 3 constituents were under-represented, since he couldn’t vote on any matter pertaining to the public schools. In the second case, which will be the case as they go forward, Ward 3 still finds itself under-represented, since almost everyone assumes that Caccamo will vote the way The Suits — and not We The People — want him to vote.

Granted, no one know how someone will vote until the actual vote takes place, and no one would love more than us to see Caccamo do the right thing and vote to reject the mayor’s spendthrift FY15 budget and suggest cost cuts. THE PLANET, though, won’t hold our breath. The closest will come is to borrow some SCUBA gear from Lloyd Bridges [ED. NOTE: Who out there “gets” that one?!)

——– 000 ——–

If it was possible to survey all voters in Ward 3, the FY15 school department budget would fail, TES’ overall municipal budget would fail, and spending $200 million on an unnecessary new high school building would not pass. Caccamo is expected to vote in favor of all three.

Speculation is that with Bianchi getting nervous about the outcome of these situations (pressure from above, perhaps?), he has made some kind of secret deal with Caccamo. In exchange for Cacc’s “yes” votes following his resignation from the PSD, Nick The Quick would possess a handsome I.O.U. signed by the mayor and payable by the mayor’s clandestine backers.

Will that be the Berkshire Works job? Scuttlebutt has Ashley Sulock in contention. She’s the former mouthpiece for the former Pillsbury Doughboy at the Berkshire Chamber of Commerce. If Bianchi did intend to reward Caccamo with the BW job, THE PLANET has reason to believe we have spooked him out of that foolish direction.

Thus, if and when Caccamo does not get the BW gig, count that as another victory brought to you by THE PLANET, your home of truth, justice, the American Way, and The Generalissimo.

——– 000 ——–

Now: PLEASE VOTE. Let THE PLANET know which you prefer:

(A) Nick “Golf Game”

or

(B) Nick “Mulligan”

We shall keep a running tally and announce the winner next week.

————————————————————————————————

“Some enchanted evening, someone may be laughing. You may hear her laughing across a crowded room, and night after night, as strange as it seems, the sound of her laughter will sing in her dreams.”Jay and the Americans and other artists, “Some Enchanted Evening,” Rogers and Hammerstein tune from 1949.

“OPEN THE WINDOW, AUNT MILLIE.”

LOVE TO ALL.

74 Responses to “‘WE THE PEOPLE’ FACE CRUCIAL VOTE: SHOULD IT BE ‘NICK GOLF GAME’ or ‘NICK MULLIGAN’ … CACCAMO’S ELITIST ‘GOLF’ QUIP ANGERS THE POOR AND THE POORER IN PITTSFIELD”

1. dusty
    June 12, 2014 at 1:25 am #

I would like to go with B, Mulligan, for $50,000 please.

2. silence dogood
    June 12, 2014 at 4:19 am #

How about Niblick Nick?

3. Kate Dempsey
    June 12, 2014 at 5:59 am #

I’ll go with B (Mulligan). If Nick Does get the BW job can we change it to: C (The Ball’s Washer),

• danvalenti
      June 12, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

Great line. Wanna write for my show?

4. Nostrodumbass
    June 12, 2014 at 6:00 am #

Mulligan for the $100,000

Or a cool One Million payable out of tax coffers over 10 years.
    Not bad for a few yes votes.

5. acheshirecat
    June 12, 2014 at 6:19 am #

Even Mike Nelson, with all his scuba gear, can navigate the polluted waters of Pittsfield politics.

• danvalenti
      June 12, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

Nice, CAT. You “got” it. “Sea Hunt” himself. Funny comment, too!

6. Foxy Lady
    June 12, 2014 at 6:28 am #

A: Nick Golf Game.
    You bet we’re “suspicious” of this.

7. Ron Kitterman
    June 12, 2014 at 6:35 am #

Teach a man to fish and he’ll feed himself for a lifetime. Teach a man to be a hack and he’ll feed off the system for a lifetime.

• Wish I retired from GE
      June 12, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Ron. Weren’t you a County commissioner and a Pittsfield policeman ? How much is your pension?

• April C
        June 12, 2014 at 9:41 am #

You are not retired from GE. We know who you are.

• Spider
        June 12, 2014 at 10:52 am #

What does Ron’s pension have to do with the subject at hand?

• Wish I retired from GE
          June 12, 2014 at 11:46 am #

According to most on this blog you must be connected to have gotten this position. Plus Ron being a politician , he must be on the take . Ron also belong to the thug police union so he doesn’t deserve his pension .

• Evian
            June 12, 2014 at 11:50 am #

Nice try Wish but we’re not falling for you overly worn tactic of trying to divert the discussion. Thats the downfall of people like you. You think citizens are stupid, they may be apathetic and angry but we’re not stupid.

• danvalenti
          June 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Exactly, SPIDER. Your fellow correspondent, EVIAN, points out what “I WISH I RETIRED …” is trying to do. He (or she) is trying to divert the discussion from truth and justice. One does that by spreading lies and favoritist (and elitist) positions.

• Justin
            June 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Dan to combat this please simply redcat I wish I reitred’s posts.

8. Spider
    June 12, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Re: The RETOACTIVE pay raises for 25 non-union employees. In IBerkshire today, Lothrop said “it’s not uncommon in municipal employment for negotiated contracts thru collective bargaining” to have RETROCTIVE raises.

Hello….what am I missing here? Aren’t we talking about raises for employees who do not have contracts thru a union ….. you know, like in the dreaded private sector? So who cares what unions do!

And K. Amuso also referred to a UNION CONTRACT in 2012 in justifying her vote.

Again….I am not talking about the raises themselves, but being RETROACTIVE!

• dusty
      June 12, 2014 at 8:17 am #

I think what Lothrop meant to say was that It is not uncommon for political hacks to grab every dime they can from the taxpayers, And he should know.

• levitan
        June 12, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Nice.

9. Spectator
    June 12, 2014 at 7:59 am #

Coming into this a little late….did this guy quit his PSD job AND the Ward 3 post?

• CJ
      June 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

He left his Pittsfield School Department job so he would eliminate the school budget conflict. The people on this blog think that Caccamo has some inside track at a high profile job as a reward for his undieing loyalty to Dan Bianchi. The evidence they have is well……ummm……ummm…..wait….nothing. It was just made up.

They are just providing us here on Planet Earth some comedy as in reality it looks like Caccamo will probably be bartending or doing odd jobs for awhile.

• Rafael
        June 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

CJ, time will tell who is right on this. It won’t be you.

• CJ
          June 12, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

Well, Rafael. Lets wager.

• Kate Dempsey
            June 12, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

Put me down for $20 Allen. I’ll take the over that the Hackamo will cast a vote or votes in favor of what ever TES tells him to. For his being a loyal lapdog, Hackamo will get a nice plumb job…..let’s say Berkshire (Doesn’t) Works for example.

On a side note Allen, I see you wanting to meet people for “coffee.” The implied message being that your tougher than them and want to impose your will. But tell me, were you the same Allen, when caught by the police dealing drugs cried like a baby? Or is just name similarity?

Dan, keeping along the golf-game names, how about “Ball Bag?”

• danvalenti
            June 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

KATE
            Definitely. Write for my show! “Ball bag” … “Hackamo” … you are the next Imogene Coca.

• CJ
            June 13, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Kate. Names not Allen.

10. levitan
    June 12, 2014 at 9:09 am #

A.

Endless supply of humor there. Liking your clipart.

• danvalenti
      June 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Sometimes it’s too easy, LEVITAN. Appreciate your input.

11. outfox
    June 12, 2014 at 9:21 am #

Mulligan.

12. Scott
    June 12, 2014 at 9:22 am #

A: Nick “Golf Game”

It’s interesting every conversation I had with councilors they stated raises we’re not retroactive. You guys can say why you want about Lathtrop but I’ve emailed the guy and he’s very polite answered back and I’ve asked some pretty tough questions, gave him my opinion as a tax payer and voter. We each respectively disagreed but I’m thankful he at least he participated in a conversation with me as my ward rep.

• Wish I retired from GE
      June 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

Scott I commend you on your due diligence . I may not always agree with your opinion at least you go to the source to express your opinion . Most on this blog( including Dan sometimes), don’t take the time to go to the source to seek a answer to their question just believing everything the read here. People get informed before you write the wrong thing!

• danvalenti
        June 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

WISH I RETIRED
        You mean like the countless times I’ve “taken the time” to contact The Empty Suit or his most loyal stooges for input/comment, and they stonewall? Like that?

• Rafael
      June 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Scott, it’s great that Lothrop answered you back. But what is not great is he of course ignored your views and the views of the voters and went along with the GOB.
      Kudos to you for at least trying. I hope you don’t give up.

• Scott
        June 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

I won’t give up and councils are people too so if nothing I at least planted some seeds. I’m wondering if I could run for my ward and win… Of course I barly passed high school and have no college education but I so have common sense and business expirience. If anyone knows about a bottom line and making tough choices on a budget it’s me and my family. We already gave up cable tv and internet to stay on top of things. Next they’ll be asking us to eat less!

• danvalenti
          June 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

SCOTT
          Do it! Run for office. Local politics need an injection of the type of people you described, those with “common sense and business experience.” Do it!

13. Jonathan Melle
    June 12, 2014 at 9:41 am #

I would have a better chance winning Powerball than finding a living wage job in Pittsfield!

• Still wondering
      June 12, 2014 at 9:46 am #

We think you should stay where you are.

• Jonathan Melle
        June 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

I will stay where I am in Southern NH. I hope to NEVER RETURN to Pittsfield! I have been burned by Pittsfield on many levels over the course of my life!

• levitan
          June 12, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Actually, NH is looking pretty good these days.

• Jonathan Melle
          June 12, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

I am a Disabled Veteran who served our country Honorably in the U.S. Army. I received the regards from a U.S. President for my service. I am very proud of who I am!
          As for Pittsfield High School basketball, I had a difficult time of it. I should have quit the team the night I broke down in tears. It was over 21 years ago and I was just a teen-age boy at the time. The coach hit players, harassed everyone, and was fired from his job after the 1993 season. Who the hell did he think he was?
          That is the whole problem with Pittsfield! People are self-deluded with big ego’s in a small town. I am happy I don’t live in Pittsfield anymore. I hope to never return to Pittsfield for the rest of my life.
          I like Dan Valenti because he stands for truth for Pittsfield politics.

14. Shakes His Head
    June 12, 2014 at 10:24 am #

he prolly plays at the A.. I don’t think they require shoes or shirts on that course.

• danvalenti
      June 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

Funny line, SHH.

15. CJ
    June 12, 2014 at 11:50 am #

I’ve got big news. Caccamo has landed a new job.

• levitan
      June 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

That’s usually the reason people resign from a position.

Employment Change Process:
      1) interview for new position. Accept offer.
      2) Announce resignation
      3) Commence work in new position.

Still, he’s a public official so eyes are on him.

16. I'll never tell
    June 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

Dan

I would like to nominate a new nickname….”Country Club”

Nick “Country Club” Caccamo says it all…please reconsider

17. Nota
    June 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Hackamo ‘s new job…golf pro @ Berkshire WOrk$ .

18. Rafael
    June 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

I work in the technology field. There is no such thing as a ‘technology coach’. That’s a made up, no show, political job if there ever was one. I want one of those, it can be called ‘Surf the net all day coach’

19. Spider
    June 12, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

C.J.: You say that Caccamo “left his Pittsfield School Dept. job to eliminate the school budget conflict”.

In the kindest way possible, YOU ARE FULL OF IT!

• CJ
      June 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

REDACTED

• Teecha teecha
        June 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

Actually, im sure Nick “Mulligan” Caccamo did quit at least partially to eliminate the conflict of interest. That goes without saying. However, its been obvious since his run for mayor that Nick has always had political ambitions feom the get go, what we are speculating is that he may/may not have used this conflict of interest as leverage to get a political appointment. Its really not that far fecthed. Idmhe didnt, more power to him. But, noone can fathom, at least common sense wise, someone up and quitting a 50k a year gif wit no back up. Being this is pittsfield, jobs paying at that rate dont just crawl out of the muck at springside park. Then you add in what lengths bianchi has peoven to go to get votes in his direction the speculation occurs.

2+2 always = 4

CJ allen, jim joe bob, whatever your name is. Id you cant debate without throwing temper tantrums or threats or ageong arming those you oppose…her is a link to a place more suited for you. Http://topix.com

• ed shepardson
          June 12, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

teecha teecha. Are you really a teacher?

• Teecha teecha
            June 12, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

I was an educator for 20+ years in berkshire county, mostly pittsfield and now work as a paraprofessional if you must know. If you are all referring to ,my spelling errors via auto correct have at it. People like me arent the reason we need it in the first place.

• Wish I retired from GE
          June 12, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

Are you really a teacher ?

• ed shepardson
            June 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

No comprende.

• Teecha teecha
            June 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

Unlike you who wishes he retired, i did. Not laid off or fired for blatant incompetency. Then, being fully retired i decided to work part rime helping students 1:1 . Its called having passion for what you do or can do.

• danvalenti
            June 12, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

We have taken down several comments from “I Wish I Retired from GE” for failing to advance the discussion.

• Teecha teecha
            June 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

*time. In case you confuse yourself yet again…insult away

• levitan
          June 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Don’t text and drive, T(2). ;)

• Teecha teecha
            June 12, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Or attempt to update blog entries via “smartphone” ;)

• Scott
          June 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

Teecha you act like they said they wanted to punch someone in the throat… ;)

• levitan
            June 13, 2014 at 10:32 am #

Teech,

It’s ‘people such as me.’

I’m kinda picky and am trying to make up for blowing off Latin in eighth grade.

20. ed shepardson
    June 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

I like the new name calling aspect to this blog. Productive. Very productive. You’re sure to send the GOB’s running for cover now.

• Wish I retired from GE
      June 12, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Great call Ed. Dan really do you need the nick names?

• ed shepardson
        June 12, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

Dude, don’t cuddle up to me if you’re not willing to use your real name. If you don’t, your just as bad as everyone else.

• levitan
          June 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

Still peddling that old canard? Pseudonyms and public speech are as old as the printed press.

Now, if one writes from the position of status that pertains to a topic and wants his affiliation with that organization to lend gravitas to his position, then personal name is appropriate.

Otherwise, you may be doing someone known as ‘ed shepardson’ who lives in Pittsfield, or Pottstown, or Newark a disservice by writing under his name.

• ed shepardson
            June 13, 2014 at 4:46 am #

Classy.

• levitan
            June 13, 2014 at 10:43 am #

Better written as this:

“if the author is affiliated or related to the individual or institution discussed and wants his identity to add gravitas to his statement, then personal identification is relevant.”

Example,

If someone really wants to underscore that the mayor is a fink, identifying herself as his wife adds credibility.

• ed shepardson
            June 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

edshepardson@nycap.rr.com

• danvalenti
        June 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

“Need.” No. I have no “needs” of that kind. Additionally, we do not have to defend our choice of words. Don’t like them? Take your business elsewhere. You will also notice that when we employ nicknames, it’s only as salt on the wound. We first lay out the case with reason, logic, and data, as the case may be. The “truth” can vary on your POV, but these are unassailable, as your posts prove.

• CJ
          June 13, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Dan question. Why do your bloggers have the write to name call but if I accuse someone of lieing my comment is deleted.

21. Giacometti
    June 12, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Caccamo’s elitist remark should earn him to be called the worse

word associated with golf…..a word all golfers detest

” SHANK “

• levitan
      June 13, 2014 at 10:44 am #

Barred from all golf courses in the Commonwealth for life.

22. ShirleyKnutz
    June 14, 2014 at 7:37 am #

In the gazette cacao was talking about Las Vegas coming because of an electric billboard. Maybe he should be called high roller mulligan!!

23. amandaWell
    June 16, 2014 at 4:20 am #

TidBits from a meeting of the Hole…..Caramel quote’ The Chief, was kind enough to give us a 100g…Mick Graff …It will cost 500g to fix the Dam at the Springside Pond. And how the about the special events police overtime. Our Seniors must love that one, along with the recent water hike rate.